Thursday, March 04, 2010

U of L exits Freedom Hall in blaze of glory



If that wasn't sending the old girl off the right way, I don't know what is.


On Saturday, March 6, 2010, the University of Louisville men's basketball team brought its 54th and final season of home games in Freedom Hall to a stirring end, using a 48-33 second-half blitzkrieg to dispatch top-ranked Syracuse 78-68 before a record crowd of 20,135.


Like many Cardinal fans, I had to revise my list of favorite Freedom Hall memories to include the finale in a prominent position. I doubt I will ever forget the way the Cards bade farewell to The Hall. Not that I'd rank it first all-time, though; here, in no particular order, are the rest of my faves.


Legendary public address announcer John Tong: My friends and I used to give John's introduction of the starting lineups along with him, word for word; his style was unique. When I close my eyes, I can hear it now -- and it still gives me goosebumps. "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center and Freedom Hall, for the thrills and excitement of college basketball, as tonight, the University of Louisville Cardinals host...." It's a different world now; John must spin in his grave at the rah-rah excesses now commonplace among PA people. (No disrespect to current U of L announcer Sean Moth intended.)


Wes Unseld's Senior Day: This might be colored by the fact I was 13 at the time and Wes was my hero. It is indisputably true, though, that when he was introduced, and then when he left the game for the final time, he received the two loudest and longest standing ovations I had ever heard.


Beating Kentucky in 1995: Samaki Walker's triple double, including a U of L-record 11 blocked shots, highlighted a two-point game many called the best ever. Terrific game regardless of your rooting interest.


Beating Kentucky in 2009: "THREEEEEEEEEE, SOSAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" Great way to stick it to Big Blue Nation, which had been unusually obnoxious in the days before the game.

Louisville 115, Memphis State 97, Feb. 25, 1978: I confess -- I despise Memphis. I've been called names in Memphis I had to ask my dad about. Because of that, I've cherished every victory over the hated Tigers, especially this one, in which the Cards totally mopped the floor with them.

Louisville 99, Memphis State 94, OT (women), Feb. 25, 1978: This one was memorable again for the opposition (did I mention how much I despise Memphis?), but for the weirdness of it. U of L actually had this game won 88-86 in regulation, but due to a malfunction, the horn didn't sound when the clock hit :00. In the split second between time expiring and timekeeper Richard "Rosie" Rozel manually blowing the horn, Memphis State scored a tying basket, which the officials had to count. The Lady Cards regrouped to fend off the No. 17 Tigers in overtime; it would be nearly a decade before they would again defeat Memphis during the regular season.

Louisville 84, Southern Mississippi 73 (women), Mar. 12, 1993: The Lady Cards won the Metro Conference championship, avenging a bitter loss to USM in the '92 semifinals. Five days later, U of L became the first (and to date only) team to defeat Connecticut in an NCAA tournament game in Storrs. What do you want to bet UConn coach Geno Auriemma hasn't forgotten that?







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home